What is a Health Savings Account?
A Health Savings Account is established to save for the payment or reimbursement of qualified medical expenses. The following criteria must be met in order to qualify for a Health Savings Account:
- You are covered under a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) for health insurance OR you are interested in switching to a High-Deductible Health Plan.
- You are not enrolled in Medicare.
- You are not claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.
What is a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)?
A HDHP is a health insurance plan that has an annual deductible and annual out-of-pocket expense limit that meet requirements set by federal law. LSB offers a number of HDHP compliant health insurance plans. Contact one of our insurance professionals for a NO COST, NO OBLIGATION initial consultation to help you determine which plan will best meet your needs.
What are the Advantages of an HSA?
- Security - You are protected from high or unexpected medical expenses.
- Affordability - You may be able to lower your health insurance premiums by switching to a High Deductible Health Plan.
- Savings - Your savings may qualify for interest income or investment earnings.
- Control - You make all the decisions about how much you save, which medical expenses you will pay with the account, whether to invest the money in the account, and more!
- Portability - You can keep your HSA even if you have a major life change; such as a job change, move, or change of marital status.
- Ownership - Your funds remain in your account from year-to-year, just like an IRA. There are no "use it or lose it" rules.
- Tax Savings - Your HSA provides triple tax savings: 1) tax deductions for contributions; 2) tax-free earnings; 3) tax-free withdrawals for qualified medical expenses.
Contact us if you are interested in learning more about Health Savings Accounts.